Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Lead Blog Response: Rule of Three

When I binge-watched How I Met Your Mother a few years ago, I didn't pay much attention to the writing or the structure. Like many, I fell in love with the show for its likable characters and lighthearted storyline, although it did become more melodramatic in the later years. I think there are two types of people who have watched HIMYM: those who liked the ending and those who didn't. I have to admit that I was not a fan of the ending at all, but that's another conversation.

Regardless of my lingering bitterness, I can't deny that the show roped me in with its constant funniness - which at the time, I didn't realize was a result of a formulaic structure. Since then, I've become extremely interested in the not only the process of creating an entire script, but even the process of creating a single joke. Some jokes were undoubtedly spontaneous, probably the result of a random comment made at the writer's table. For example, I always wonder how the "slap bet" between Barney and Marshall was thought up - it's such a hilarious plot line that was carried out through multiple seasons. Also Barney's ducky tie, which he wore for a multitude of episodes after losing yet another bet. These intricacies are probably my favorite part of the show, because they make the dynamics between characters even more entertaining.

The writers of HIMYM did a good job at establishing character quirks early on, which audiences clung to and identified with. Barney is probably the most quotable character, and he most definitely uses the Rule of Three more than anyone else. I started watching the episode "Sorry Bro" after reading Jillian's blog post, and within the first five minutes I saw multiple uses of the Rule of Three. In the cold open, Robin walks into the bar at 1:45am, getting ready to go to work for her 4am newscast. Marshall asks who the fans are of a show that airs at 4 in the morning, and the Rule of Three plays out in the group's responses:

Lily: People getting up to host a show at 5 in the morning? (1)

Ted: Meth addicts who haven't sold their TVs yet? (2)

Barney: Strippers in that messy gray area between getting off work and getting their kids up for school? (3)

Like Jillian mentioned, the last line in the Rule of Three serves as the punch line, which Barney is always a pro at delivering. Another example I found was in a flashback with Karen, Ted's ex-girlfriend from college. Ted and Karen are obnoxiously making out on the top bunk while Marshall and Lily are playing cards on the floor. Ted narrates that he's unsure why his friends never liked Karen, but he thinks it's because of the things she says:

Karen: I love that you guys live in a dorm (1), it's so American (2). It's like, "let's all eat baloney sandwiches and be racist (3).

This is the first line Karen says in the show, establishing her role as the pretentious and self absorbed ex-girlfriend. Of course, Ted falls for her games again, because he's Ted.

The Rule of Three is a concept that seems to work in many different genres, but especially in comedy. Especially with a sitcom style show, writers rely on these formulas to generate content that is sure to get them continuous views and laughs. These days, the sitcom is becoming obsolete as new formats of comedy are becoming more prevalent. I think there is a fine line between having a formula that works, but also trying to push boundaries and create interesting content.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you dissect the rule of three into a kind of rhythmic premise: in the last example, it's not so much a list of things that are alike and one that is not alike, it's a series of beats and in the third beat there's a strong accent. That makes me wonder if this premise isn't translatable to other kinds of fictional works.

    ReplyDelete